Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Call to Arms

I've been reading a great deal lately about public school lunches and the push to improve them. I graduated in 1983, a great deal of things have changed since then (and believe me, I'm not saying that "then" school lunches were wonderful, fresh, nutritious meals - I don't think the concept of salad bars in schools had even been thought of yet - but they were tolerable, and I had the option of taking something from home if the offered menu wasn't tasty). I wish I'd known then what I know now, in more ways than one.

I see what's documented on this blog:

http://fedupwithschoollunch.blogspot.com/

and I'm floored. Those poor kids!

Then today there was this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36664612/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition

that taught me a great deal. I didn't know that school lunches originated because new military recruits were undernourished and the military encouraged the government to solve the problem. Now it appears the kids are overnourished - fat. And in all likelihood on their way to conditions brought on by obesity that will further tax the health care system (doesn't matter which one, Obamacare or whatever).

My kids are homeschooled, so obviously none of this "directly" affects me, or them. But MY kids aren't the only kids I care about. Not all families have the option of homeschooling or even of sending their kids to school with a healthy alternative to the school's lunch packed and carried along with them. The more I read, the more upset I am. How are today's kids supposed to learn when their bodies are fueled by this junk?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have been keeping up with the school lunch program and pack my sons lunch pretty much everyday. Every once in awhile I'll let him have a hot lunch but I check the menu first to find out what is on it. Next year I'll be making 2 packed lunches. If you have any idea's on what my kids can take that is easy to pack but doesn't need to stay hot the whole time I would love the info. I've tried a few things but just can't seem to get out of the packed lunch rut!!!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to stay out of a rut. Even at home, and especially with a child who loves a particular food above all others (or loathes 50% of what you really want him to eat, LOL).

    Will he accept wraps rather than sandwiches, and cold salads like lentil salad, pasta salad with bite-sized veggies, coleslaw, 3-bean salad? We've augmented bananas and apples (cored) by slicing them down the middle, adding natural peanut butter, then sticking the 2 halves back together again and wrapping them in saran wrap before chilling. Also consider dips - salsa, hummus, bean dip, with baked chips or veggie sticks.

    Some of the suggested menus from laptop lunches look good, and many of the main items are chilled rather than hot:

    http://www.laptoplunches.com/ideas.html

    For a little different fare, The Vegan Lunchbox is a good place to get ideas. She shares pics and recipes.

    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

    I'd try new things at home first, to make sure they go over well, before packing them up for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the ideas. He is some what picky and likes to stick with the same foods even at dinner time!!!!! I'll definitely look into some of those websites and get idea's for next year since school is almost over with.

    ReplyDelete